Do you want to improve your backyard? Do you already have a plan in mind? How about adding a pergola? This would really be a great idea! Our company also specialises in designing or redesigning, and installing durable, highly-functional, and super stylish pergolas. We have a team of experts, who have been building beautiful pergolas for many years for homeowners in Darwin, NT, Australia and nearby areas.
What is a Pergola?
Pergola is a garden structure usually made of timber with roofs that allow climbing plants to grow. Pergolas have become a very popular garden design in Australia mainly because they effectively boost the area’s aesthetics and functional appeal. Moreover, pergolas can serve as a resting place in the summers when plants bloom and offer a natural shade. In winters, pergolas allow sunshine to get in if you need to.
Different Options for Pergola Materials
Originally, pergolas were only made from either stone or wood. But today, you have your own pergola using different types of materials such as cellular PVC, steel, aluminium, and fibreglass. Let’s see what each of these materials can offer.
- Wood – the traditional choice of material for pergola with its natural rustic look and feel that perfectly complements with the green surroundings. You may choose either hardwood or softwood to build your pergola. However, it is important to understand that using wood for pergolas could lead you to spending more on the maintenance. Wood must be treated, thoroughly sanded, and checked periodically to maintain its tiptop shape.
- Steel – extremely durable yet it can be bulky. Steel pergolas must be protected from rust or oxidation which can be achieved by using a liquid paint or powder coat. There are plenty of options when it comes to the type of steel that you can use for your pergola, and there are cheaper options that won’t compromise the quality and the look of your dream pergola.
- Aluminium – lighter than wood and lower maintenance requirements. Perfect for both homes and business properties. It is also very easy to customise. It is a non-porous material that can withstand harsh outdoor elements. With this, you don’t have to worry about rotting. There are also plenty of options when it comes to colours and designs that will surely match your overall property theme.
- Fibreglass – this pergola material is highly durable, stylish, easy to maintain, and fully customisable. It can endure the ever-changing weather and other environmental elements and can blend easily with any decors. It also allows easy installation of fans, lighting, and heaters, if necessary.
- PVC – a way better option than wood when it comes to resistance to termites, moisture, and water. It is almost impossible for harsh elements to penetrate the material and cause rotting. Checking for loose connections and period cleaning are enough to maintain its condition for many years.
- Concrete – precast stone can last for so many years without the need of regular maintenance. It is extremely durable and can stand the test of time as well as the different environmental elements. Spot cleaning and power washing are all it takes to bring back its original look.
- Vinyl – a cost-effective option for those who really want to have pretty pergolas while on a tight budget. It is durable enough to withstand weather conditions and only requires minimal cleaning and maintenance.
Types of Pergola Designs
- Attached – one side is connected to a structure that serves as its support on one of its sides. This design offers a seamless transition from your home or indoor structure to the outdoor area. Today, even commercial establishments like restaurants also install pergola for comfortable outdoor dining.
- Wall-Mounted – also called as the eyebrow pergolas, smaller than the standard pergola and mounted to a wall which one side is attached to a structure. There are no columns, and they provide shade to smaller areas only such as in the walkways and entryways.
- Freestanding – not attached to any structure and requires a minimum of four columns anchored into a concrete patio or concreted footer. Works great in almost everywhere, but must comply with the local laws and may need you to secure permits before installation.
The Best Pergola Products and Services in Darwin, NT
If you are looking for the most trusted service provider in Darwin, NT, who can provide you a complete range of products and services including pergola design, supply, and installation, you have come to the right place. Our company is one of the trusted names when it comes to top-quality pergola supplies and all pergola-related services. Get in touch with our experts today.